Bebinca / Bibinca / BibikCourse: desertCuisine: GoanDifficulty: Medium
Bebinca is a Goan much liked pudding type desert. It is a layered desert made with eggs, coconut milk, ghee and flour. It’s so delicious you can’t resist the sugar delight.
10 egg yolks
1/2 tsp salt
400 gms granulated sugar
125 gms All-purpose flour (maida)
1/2 pint (250 ml ) thick coconut milk (the first extract) from one large coconut
6 ounces (150 ml ) thin coconut milk to dissolve the sugar
1/4 nutmeg (powder)
200 gms pure ghee
30 ml vanilla essence
- First, make a syrup of the sugar and thin coconut milk on slow flame, stirring till all the sugar is fully dissolved. Keep aside to cool it down.
- Take eggs and separate the yolks and beat it. You can use an electric egg beater to beat eggs.
- Add thick milk, flour and essence to this egg yolk and mix it well.
- Strain the whole above mixture through a fine strainer so that there shouldn’t be any lumps present in the mixture.
- now divide this mixture into 2 equal halves. Add 1 cup of caramelized sugar to one part of the mixture. This is done to get an alternate layer of dark colour. Also, the caramelized layer gives better taste.
- Take a deep, about 4 to 5 inches deep baking pan of round or rectangular shape. Grease the bottom with little ghee. Line the bottom with food-grade paper (at the base only). Now again grease ghee generously on top of it.
- Pour in 2 cups non-caramelized mixture on it
- Preheat the oven for 180 degrees.
- Bake covered in an till it’s baked or golden brown for about 20 minutes (keep checking it)
- Remove the baking pan, grease in some more ghee on top of it and then pour 2 cups of caramelized batter mix.
- Now, bake it under the grill till golden brown without covering the top. Once baked remove from the oven.
- Continue with next layer, i.e, repeat point number 7 then 9 then 10, and note before pouring new layer grease generously with ghee every time, and use alternative layer of batter mix . Grill the caramelized layer and conventional bake the normal layer.
- Continue till all the batter mix is over.
- Once baking is finished allow it to cool down completely.
- Upturn on a plate when cold, cut the delicious Bebinca.
- While baking the first layer, use convection mode. Preheat the oven with 180 degrees. place the medium rack and Bake on convection mode for 20 minutes or till you see the top layer brown. After ghee pour batter, turn the oven to grill mode, place the high rack and grill till the top layer turns brown. Repeat this process.
- There is the other way to make Bebinca. Instead of a caramelized layer, you can use the same batter mix.
- You can also use different food colour to make colourful Bebinca.