Perad – Guava Cheese, a classic Goan sweetCourse: sweetsCuisine: GoanDifficulty: Medium
1 kg Guava
Sugar (as much as the Guava paste: 1 cup guava paste=1 cup sugar )
2 tbsp butter
Food colour (Optional)
- To make Perade, take good riped Guavas. Wash it well and cut the sides of it.
- Steam the washed Guvavas for 20minutes.
- Take out the seed part and boil it and pass it through a sieve to remove the seeds and any hard parts.
- Grind the rest of the Guavas and mix it with sieved centre part of the guava, measure it in a cup.
- Take exactly the same quantity of sugar.
- In a vessel mix, take Guava paste and sugar and stir it in low flame, after 15 minutes add lemon juice and keep stirring continuously.
- After 30 minutes add butter and food colour. At this stage, it is almost getting done.
- In a bowl take ice-cold water, and drop a little Guvavamix in it, if you can form a ball from it, then it is done.
- Grease a plate with ghee and pour above guava mix. Make the top surface even.
- Now and allow it to settle for overnight.
- Take a sharp knife and cut it into the shape you like.