Christmas is a time where families come together to join in the celebration, share gifts, sweets and much more. The preparation starts almost a month before Christmas. Lets begin with creamy, tasty Goan milk cream recipe…
Milk cream is one such Christmas treat I prepare first as this can be stored for a longer time if refrigerated.
Milk cream Christmas sweet is a fudge prepared with milk, sugar and cashew nuts as the main ingredient. This sweet is popular among Goan and East Indian communities. There is a high demand for this during the Christmas season wherein it is sold for Rs.800 to Rs.1000 per kilo.
A combination of milk, cream and cashew nuts … delightfully rich!. Preparing milk cream is labour intensive but worth it. Every year I remember preparing milk cream and, a portion of this gets over even before it gets into the moulds.
Before you go through the milk cream recipe, I want to give you a few tips and suggestions and my experience while preparing milk cream that will help you to make it perfect.
As I mentioned earlier, the milk cream recipe is a Goan delicacy prepared during the Christmas season. The milk cream recipe has different variations with regard to sugar and cashew nuts. Milk cream can also be prepared with condensed milk which reduces 50 Percent of the cooking time as most of the time goes into condensing the milk. Let me tell you to step by step process of this preparation.
Milk for milk cream: I suggest you use full-fat milk – as it gives a rich taste. Boil the milk on high flame as it takes a long time to condense. Keep on stirring so that it doesn’t get burnt and the colour of the milk cream goes darker. If you have time, better you can do it on the low flame to retain the creamy white colour at the end. Scrape out the milk that settles at the sides of the vessel from time to time.
Sugar: sugar can be added directly or it can also be powdered and then added to the milk. I prefer adding powdered sugar. As it reduces the cooking time and also retains the white colour at the final stage. When the milk is condensed to half powdered sugar is added.
Cashew nuts: Cashew nuts can be powdered or ground with milk. While grinding use the pulse option. When the milk is reduced to one third, you can add cashew nuts. Keep on stirring for some time and then add butter and vanilla essence.
The most important part of getting a perfect milk cream is to check the doneness. When you feel that the mixture has started to leave the sides of the pan. Take some ice cubes in a bowl of water and drop the mixture into this. If you can form a ball, it’s a perfect time to off the flame.
Read my other recipes for Christmas, special Plum Cake, Rose Cookies, Bebinca / Bibinca / bibik Recipes – Delicious Goan Desert, Perad – Guava Cheese, a classic Goan sweet, Snowball Cookies – that melts in your mouth, Rice Ladoos – Tasty nutritious sweet, Nevri / karjikai, Kormolas – Flowerbud shaped Goan Christmas sweet, Kulkuls – ( Kidiyo ) Crunchy golden Christmas sweet
Please watch my video for a step-by-step process of preparing milk cream.
Finally, grease the plate that you will be pouring the mixture, and using silicon Spatula turn it over, till it cools.
Apply ghee to your palm and also the moulds and mould it. For quick unmoulding, place the moulds in the refrigerator.
In some of the pictures of the milk cream recipe, you would have noticed that the colour is white. When full-fat cream is used the colour changes to light cream. Secondly, the colour of vanilla essence and butter etc makes it get a cream colour.
Buy My Mangalorean Masala Products online. My Sore link here Rovena’s Store
I hope you will enjoy this milk cream recipe for Christmas. Children will love it and ask you for more. I usually make it with 1-litre of milk. If you are a beginner try with 500 ml.
Do try the milk cream recipe. If you like my milk cream recipe share it with your friends and if you need any assistance with regards to the milk cream recipe, get connected to me. Wishing you a wonderful Christmas season.
Read all delicious sweet recipes on Spices & AromasJoin us on our Facebook Group Spices & Aromas
Goan Milk Cream Recipe Card
Milk CreamCourse: DessertCuisine: GoanDifficulty: Medium
A christmas Special Delicious Goan Milk cream recipe – milky, creamy fudge, that just melts in your mouth.
1 ltr milk
100 gms cashew nuts
350 gms sugar
2 tbsp butter
- Powder the sugar and cashew nut separately. While powdering with mixer grinder do not powder it at high speed. Use the “Pulse” button to grind it. Make a fine powder.
- Boil the milk in a vessel, continue stirring it in low flame also, clearing the sides to avoid burning.
- Once the milk is reduced to half add Sugar powder and continue stirring. You have to stir it without stopping till the mixture hardens.
- When the mixture is reduced to one third, add cashew nut powder and keep stirring and clearing the sides.
- As the mixture gets a little thick, add butter stir and mix it well.
- After stirring continuously, the mixture will start to leave the sides of the pan. Transfer 1 tsp of the mixture to a dry plate and check if you can form a ball. Applying butter to your hands becomes easy to check.
- Grease a glass bowl with ghee or butter and transfer the milk cream. The reason to transfer the milk cream to a glass bowl or a plate so that you can microwave it for 30 seconds in case the mixture gets dry and hard. To avoid this happening, cover the plate with a damp muslin cloth.
- Wait till it cools down a bit so that it is easy to form different shapes.
- Grease the moulds with different shapes and transfer this cream into those moulds.
- Very important: you need to have a lot of patience, as it takes about 2 hours with continues stirring and additional 1 hour to shape it tastes so good that it’s worth spending time on it.
Do You have a recipe for milk cream which can be done in the microwave.
Please let me know.