Step by step Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
I am a very big fan of Biryani and have always tried to explore to prepare it in the best possible ways. Staying in different places I have learnt about different varieties. The method of making Biryani matters a lot. I will make a separate post on that.
I have previously posted one more variety of Biryani [ Spicy Chicken Biryani ]in which the rice and meat are cooked together.
This is more of a Layered Biryani. This is a Hyderabadi Dum biryani, which is less in spice.
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
The most important thing in this Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is to soak the rice before making it. Next is cooking the rice to 90% and immediately drain it and spread it on muslin cloth. This is done to cool down the rice and stop the cooking process.
After you make layers of rice and meat use a generous amount of dough or aluminium foil to secure the lid and cook on a sim. After 30 minutes open the lid.
To get a smoky aroma use live coal and pour little ghee over it and immediately close the lid.
Yummy Biryani ready to serve
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
This Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is a traditional aromatic Hyderabadi dum biriyani. This delicious biriyani is a treat for all the biriyani lovers.
- For fried onions
2 cups oil
- For Marination
2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tblsp salt
1.5 kg chicken
- For grinding
300 grams onions
200 grams tomato
100 grams green chilli
30 grams of ginger
50 grams garlic
1 cup Coriander leaves
1/2 cup mint
- Powder ingredients
2 tbsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp chilly powder
1 Tsp pepper powder
1 Tsp Jeera Powder
- Whole garam masala
4 Black cardamom
1 Tsp stone flower
2 Bay leaves
1″ of 4 sticks cinnamon
2 Star anise
2 tsp shah Jeera
4 Kapok buds or Marati Moggu
(Divide these garam masalas into two equal parts and keep aside)
- Other ingredients
1 kg Basmati Rice
1 cup curd
- Wash the rice and soak it half an hour before cooking
- For brown onions,
- Heat oil in a pan. Finely chop the onions and deep fry it till golden brown. Spread this on a tissue paper and keep aside.
- For Marination,
- Clean the chicken and marinate it with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
- In the same oil, the one you fried onions, fry the marinated chicken pieces. Do not over fry the chicken.
- In the same oil fry the ground masala for 15 minutes.
- Now add one portion of garam masala, powder ingredients fry for 5 minutes and add the chicken pieces.
- Add curd, lemon juice, salt and fry for some time.
- Let the chicken cook for some time and keep aside.
- For Cooking rice,**
- Drain the water from the soaked rice.
- In a big vessel add about 3 litres water and boil. To this water add 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste, a portion of garam masala, few chopped Coriander and mint leaves, 4 tbsp of salt, 3 tbsp oil. When the water starts boiling add rice.
- Keep checking for rice as it cooks very fast. Cook till the rice is 90% done.
- Drain the rice on a cloth and spread it to stop the cooking process.
- In a thick bottom vessel spread one portion of the rice. Add the chicken pieces and gravy, little browned onions, little coriander and mint leaves. Again spread some rice and repeat the second layer. On top put rice and finish the layer.
- Add saffron strands or colour to the milk and pour it on the layered rice.
- Add 4 to 5 tbsp of ghee on top.
- Take a small cup and place 2 or three burning coals in it. Keep this at the centre and pour little ghee on top. Immediately close the lid.
- Put the gas on sim and cook for 30 minutes. OFF the flame. Open the lid after 30 minutes.