My friend in Udupi (who is an amazing cook) called me and said she’s got a few large squids/bandaas in Konkani/cuttlefish. The cuttlefish was indeed quite large may be weighing about a Kilogram each!
I pondered for a while what dish to cook. There are many recipes like squid chilly which tastes good, then dry fry or roast. But then I decided to make squid masala that I had learnt from my friend but not tried yet.
The squid I had is cuttlefish which is similar to squid. And squid/cuttlefish/small octopus can be cooked in the same way
Squid masala / Bandaas masala – squid cooked in a thick masala.
Since the cuttlefish I had was quite large and thick I had to make small square pieces. For small squids, you can cut into rings or stripes after cleaning it.Join us on our Facebook Group Spices & Aromas
Squid masala / Bandaas masalaCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
500 gms squid/cuttlefish
- For grinding
1/2 cup Shallots/sambar onion or 2 big onions
6-7 cloves garlic
1 inch Ginger
- For the Masala
4 Tbsp oil
4 -5 springs curry leaves
2 green chillies
2 tomatoes or puree
2 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Black pepper powdered
2 tsp fennel seeds powdered
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 lemon juice
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
- Grind the ingredients mentioned ‘for grinding’ to a fine paste
- In a frying pan heat oil.
- Add the ground paste and fry with curry leaves and green chillies
- Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder and fry well for about a minute.
- Now add the squid and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add pepper powder, fennel seed powder and garam masala powder and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- add lemon juice and salt mix well.
- add chopped coriander leaves.