When we talk of seafood, crab is one among the seafood belonging to the shellfish family comes to our mind. Though we find it a bit difficult and messy when eating, it is ultimately the taste that matters.
Crab Curry: Benefits of eating crabs
” Crab meat is high in phosphorus concentration which helps to strengthen bones and teeth. Protein, selenium, and omega 3 acids help to build strong immune system”
Mangalorean Style Crab Curry Recipe
This crab curry recipe is a Mangalorean cuisine I got from one of my Aunt, who is a great traditional cook.
There are different types of crab curries with different masala used, this particular one is used to cook only crabs. There are crab curry preparations with adding vegetables like raw papaya, Malabar spinach etc.
Mangalorean Crab CurryCourse: Curry, MainCuisine: MangaloreanDifficulty: Medium
1cup – Coconut 1cup
3 tsp – Coriander seeds
A pinch – of Jeera
8 to 10 – Red dry chillies( I have taken Bydagi, kashmiri and Mangalore chilli)
Half – Big onion (for masala)
Half – onion (for seasoning)
5 – Garlic pods
Half tsp – Turmeric
Little – Tamarind
Vinegar as per taste
- Clean and cut crabs.
- Grind the above ingredients except veniger to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in the cooking vessel. Fry the half onion till brown
- Add ground paste vinegar and water , after one boil add crabs , check for salt and vinegar
- Off the flame, close the lid and keep aside for some time.
- You could add a few unshelled Prawns to this curry