This fish curry is from Kundapur, which is located about 90 km from Mangalore. A small cosy town is well known for its dishes like Chicken Kundapuri, Kundapur fish curry, Chicken ghee roast ( Shetty lunch home – people travel from Manipal or Mangalore to have delicious ghee roast ). Kundapur is also known for the beautiful Maravanthe beach, rivers and temples.
“Bale ele meenu oota” which means fish meal served in banana leaf, a common sight when you travel along with the coastal site of Kundapur.
It’s a special Kundapur style curry has a unique taste, here coconut milk is used for the curry.
This curry goes well with rice, neer dosa, dosa, Idlis etc.
Mangalorean Fish Curry Kundapur Style.
Mangalorean Fish Curry |Kundapur Style Fish CurryCourse: MainCuisine: Mangalorean, KundapurDifficulty: Medium
1 KG Fish
1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Green Chillies
Salt to taste
- For Grinding
1½ Tbsp Coriander
1 Pinch Jeera
10 Red chillies
3 Cloves Garlic
- For Seasoning
½ Finely chopped Onion
- Grind and keep aside ingredients mentioned for grinding.
- In 1 cup water boil finely chopped onions, ginger and green chilli. Boil for 3 minutes
- Add the ground masala and the masala water and boil it
- Add fish and cook for two minutes
- Add the thick coconut milk and cook for 2 more minutes
- Season with the half onion with coconut oil
- You can marinate the fish with salt and termeric for 15 minutes, and wash with little water before using