Mangalore a coastal region and people here love seafood and fish. One would be surprised to find so many combination dishes of vegetables with non-veg, and they taste just great.
Malabar spinach curry with raw papaya and cockles is one of the traditional recipes of Mangalore. which I learnt from my friend’s mom who is a very good traditional cook.
Cooking cockles with Malabar spinach is one of the traditional dishes, but adding raw papaya gives the amazing taste. Here the papaya used should be almost about to ripe.
Malabar spinach, commonly known as Basale in Kannada and Vali/Valchi bhaji in Konkani is a popular creepy vegetable with large thick leaves.
Malabar spinach is an excellent source of iron, calcium, Vitamin C and Vitamin A and it contains high protein and a great source of phosphorus and potassium. It has a large amount of antioxidants such as lutein and beta carotene.
Malabar Spinach Curry: adding papaya
Malabar Spinach and papaya are commonly grown vegetables in Mangalore and hence I assume our ancestors might have experimented it by adding cockles to it. Most of you might have tried this dish and if you haven’t tried it yet, its a dish you must try.
Malabar Spinach Curry with Raw Papaya and Cockles/Clams/KubeCourse: MainCuisine: MangaloreanDifficulty: Medium
Malabar spinach curry with raw papaya and cockles is a traditional Mangalorean dish. A delicious curry with soft papaya having the aroma of the cockles/Kube makes it a wonderful combination with rice.
- For Masala
1 Big coconut
2 Tblsp coriander
1/2 Tbsp Jeera
1 Tsp mustard
10 to 12 Red chillies
1/2 Tsp turmeric powder
5 Pods garlic
- Other ingredients
100 cockles/clams (kube)
1/2 lemon size tamrind
1 Raw pappaya
- Broil (dry fry in a pan) all the above ingredients mentioned for masala, except turmeric
- Add tamarind and turmeric powder and grind to a fine paste.
- Wash the cockles/clams 4 to 5 times. Open the cockles in a way the meat remains in one shell and discard the other half.
- Now boil the cockles, to this add all Malabar spinach stems as it takes a bit longer to cook.
- Then add papaya add spinach. You can cook this in the water from the masala.
- Add the ground Masala, let the curry be of thick consistency. Cook till curry boils well.
- Season with onions.
Also, read about
All delicious fish recipes on Spices & Aromas