It was when I was in Mangalore, my neighbor made a dish out of pumpkin skin along with chickpeas. I was surprised that even the skin of a pumpkin, normally which is discarded can be used as a nutritious dish.
Pumpkin is seriously nutritious!. It is nutrient-dense, high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Most of it is concentrated on the outside of the vegetable which is the skin itself and flesh near the skin.
Pumpkin skin with chickpeas Recipe:
It’s a simple dish with grated coconut and some spices surprisingly make it tasty.
I have used bafat masala for the preparation. Since bafat masala is not available everywhere you can use any masala powder that you prefer. Shortly, I will post a recipe on bafat masala, which can be used for most of the dishes in general.
In this recipe, do not discard the chickpeas boiled water. With little ingredients, you can make a wonderful tasty saaru / rasam for rice or you can have it like soup.Join us on our Facebook Group Spices & Aromas
Pumpkin Skin with ChickpeasCourse: MainCuisine: MangaloreanDifficulty: Easy
A delicious dish with nutritious pumpkin skin with chickpeas. Do not discard the pumpkin skin instead, make this simple healthy dish.
1 cup Pumpkin skin
1/2 cup chickpeas
2 big onions
1/4 cup grated coconut
4 to 5 Tsp any masala powder, I used Bafath masala.
3 sprigs curry leaves
5 to 6 garlic cloves
Salt to taste
- Instead of discarding the pumpkin skin wash it thorroughly and make small slices.
- Wash the chickpeas and Soak it overnight.
- Boil the chickpeas and drain the water. DO NOT discard the water. ( Season this boiled water with mustard, curry leaves, asafoetida/hing and red chillies. Add salt sas per taste and you can add little tamarind water. This make a wonderful tasty saaru / rasam for rice or you can have it like soup. Shown in the picture)
- Cut the Onions, tomatoes and crush the garlic
- In a frying pan heat little oil and add onions, tomatoes, crushed garlic, curry leaves, pumpkin skin and fry till it gets tender.
- Add the boiled chickpeas, masala powder, grated coconut and cook for some time till it’s gets cooked