In Konkani, we call Piyav murmuravn kadi or Roasted Onion Fish Curry. This is one of the oldest traditional ways of cooking a certain type of fishes, a unique fish curry we do not get nowadays.
This curry is prepared for fish like catfish, denklo, madonche, tigur and valio. These are the Konkani names I do not know exact English names.
Toxin-free – No ENAMEL, No CHEMICAL coating Pre-seasoned chemical free natural non-stick skillet
My Dad loved these fishes, and I had just heard of these names but never tasted. The other day I had been to Mangalore fish market in State Bank and happened to see one of these fish tigur or it is called Mugud or catfish. They were alive and kept in the net. They were quite huge. They were also selling big pieces. I picked a fresh one. This fish is fleshy with little bones.
Sujata Powermatic Plus 900 Watts Juicer Mixer Grinder
Roasted Onion Fish Curry
Roasted onions are used for the masala, and the masala is fried before adding fish. I tried this masala and also the fish for the first time and it was superb. Often we do not even attempt to try something new thinking it might not be good. I had heard of this fish but when discussed I always got a reply that “we don’t eat this fish”. Though it’s rare, try it.
Fish Curry with Roasted Onions – A Delicious Mangalorean Fish CurryCourse: Fish CurryCuisine: MangaloreanDifficulty: Medium
Fish Curry with Roasted Onions is a authentic Mangalorean Fish curry recipe. The onions for masala are roasted to give unique aroma and taste.
10 Red chillies
1 tsp coriander
1 Pinch jeera
2 Onions roasted
2 Garlic cloves
Small lemon size tamarind
- For tempering
- 2 onions mentioned for grinding need to be roasted whole on a gas stove. If it’s not possible, slice the onion and dry roast on the pan.
- Grind the ingredients mentioned for grinding to a fine paste.
- Heat oil add 1 onion and fry till brown. Add the ground masala and fry well.
- Add the masala water and additional water if required. The curry should be a medium-thick consistency.
- Once the curry starts to boil add the fish cubes. Since this is a fleshy type of fish, cut it into cubes.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Piyav murmuravn / roasted onion fish curry is ready to serve.